Friday, August 21, 2009

What a YEAR we've had!

So almost a year ago right after school started we noticed a bump on Preston's head. It started out really small and we thought it would just go away. We finally took him to the doctor and they tried to drain and culture it to see if it was some kind of infection, but nothing came up. It slowly kept getting bigger and bigger we finally took him back in for an ultrasound and it looked like a mass of tissue. We went to Primary Childrens (the best place in the world!) They did a CT scan and found that it wasn't attatched to anything inside the skull.

So we made an appt to get it removed. In the meantime we planned a family vacation to San Diego. We wanted to go before surgery so we didn't have to worry about getting it wet. Another post will have those fun details! We went up the end of October for surgery! We had fun in the waiting rooms and just couldn't believe how incredibly fun and sincerely kind everyone up

there was! Preston didn't want to leave the Xbox and all the fun toys they had! We had a funny anesthesiologist he said he was going to give Preston whale smell for the gas! He really made it a little less scary! My heart still sinks as I think of him walking to the door and the doctor saying "okay mom you'll have to stay here, we'll see you in a little bit" Preston just turned around and gave me the biggest hug! Letting go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I knew everything was going to be okay, but still the "what if's" had me!

They told us the whole procedure was only going to be an hour so we waited in the waiting room and listened to all the stories of the other people; one waiting for an 8 hour heart surgery, one for reconstruction, and more. I could not have felt more grateful and just prayed in sincere thanks for our simple surgery compared to all the others. It took almost 2 hours, we were getting a little anxious then the nurse came in and told us we could see him. He looked so tired!

He was so brave and was trying to be strong but he couldn't wait to go home! We came back a couple weeks later and got the stitches out and the cyst came back basically a cyst of hair cells that had grouped together all begnign and just fine. We walked out of the hospital so grateful that was our last visit. I just hugged my kids extra tight that night. We never know what obstacles we will have to face in this life, but I do know Heavenly father will help us every step of the way. He certainly did for us at this scary time! The scar is so much smaller now a year later you can see it only if your looking!


TJ said...

I just sort of stumbled across your blog, I hope you don't mind.
Wow, that was a huge bump. What a scary thing to have happen. I'm glad he is doing good now. We sure miss having Preston around since we moved :(

Cory Elvidge said...

How scary! I'm so glad he's ok now. What a brave kid! And mom :)

Naomi Ruth said...

I feel as though you should blog more than once a year. Just a thought. Pregnancy pictures!! Love you!